Thursday, June 9, 2011

Slow Cooking

After recently buying myself a bargin slow cooker in Aldi for $29, I have started to learn how to make slow cooker recipes. I expected that it was just a matter of throwing everything into the pot and switch it on. So far this approach has not been so successful!


Although the meals taste ok, they don't look the best and I have found that I am left with an abundance of watery sauce. My first ever lamb shanks last night were a slight improvement. I didn't have all the ingredients for my first choice recipe so I hunted through a few google links until I found one - Red Wine and Garlic Lamb Shanks. The only vegetable ingredients were onion and carrot (this was possibly one of the disappointments when it came time to eat it). The recipe also called for a Bouquet Garni (which I have since learnt is a bunch of herbs, bay leaves, parsely and sage or thyme).

With two hours of cooking time to go, I scooped out several cups of the saucy water after realising that it was far too much. Some failed attempts to thicken the sauce with cornflour meant that we enjoyed the lamb shanks with just the vegies. All in all, I think I will find a better recipe next time, I give them 2.5 stars out of 5.

Best parts:



  • saving a fortune by using google to find recipes for which I have the ingredients in the cupboard (our cupboard has never looked so bare!)

  • first lamb shanks made a home

  • my french trimming skills (thanks Masterchef!)

Not so great parts:



  • watery sauce (going to need some tips from another fabulous cook)

  • using a cheap bottle of wine in the sauce (I think it would taste a lot better if the bottle was worth more than $2.95!)

Overall, my nothing to something goal is:


Nothing: Never used a slow cooker before


Something: To become a slow cooker diva that has a scrumptious, saucy and healthy dinner on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment