Monday, June 20, 2011

Ikea it Up!

Faced with the glee of a day off from being a mummy on Sunday, I heartily headed off to Ikea with my beloved sister.  We did have a bit of a laugh at ourselves, what would you do when offered a day of freedom from little people? A day at a fancy restaurant? The Bronte to Bondi walk? A day trip to the Hunter Valley?  Our bliss was to head to cheap homewares heaven, where the crowds are thick and the husbands whinge.
Beach Style Room - loved it but not
sure if it will work
with the house design

 
We planned our day in homeware heaven many weeks ago when I was going through a bit of a rough patch with the progress with the house and needed some motivation and something to look forward to.  Progress has been made with the house plans and I was not feeling glum in the lead up to our day out, instead I was rather excited at sourcing some inspiration.  Re-starting our house plans has meant that the design slate has been wiped clean and I am now floundering to find the sense of individual style in my new home that I have been longing for over the last two years.


This couch was a hit, very
comfortable and nice and compact

Upon entering Ikea I was not disappointed, the individual room designs were gorgeous, clever and affordable. I could walk in there and buy the whole room in one hit and still come out with some change (ok, maybe 20 cents). So that I wouldn't forget what I liked, I snapped a few pictures during our meandering walk of homeware heaven.  The greatest benefit of the photos has been to look back and try to decide which style I prefer and where to head to from here.  I have a bit of a passion for vintage furniture mixed in with everyday furniture, but after seeing some pieces in person, I am not so sure.


Cosy home office designed with repeated
bookshelf units.
 Black really set off the books

I was really drawn to the rooms done in green, grey and cosy homey style, and was put off by the ultra modern.  There were a few things that I can definitely cross off the list.  I was not impressed by the bathroom cabinets or the dining furniture.  I was impressed with the storage designs, small storage items and gadgets and the kitchen gadgets.  I think that I would definitely go back for the couch for our family room and will keep in mind all the gadgets and fittings which make it so cheap to fit out a kitchen.

If you wanted to order your kitchen or wardrobe through Ikea, I think you would need to have a high level of patience if you decided to tackle it on the weekend.  The counters were enormously busy and I don't think it would be fun to try and take that through the checkout!


Wardrobe Bliss

At the end of the day I left with some great ideas, a bag full of small storage gear for the cottage and a bit of a re-think of what I like and don't like in a home.

Nothing to something mantra:

Nothing:

  • Lack of motivation following a re-design of the house plans
  • A messy house!


Something:

  • A fun day with my big sis
  • Lots of ideas on how to get the most out of cheaper furniture and using small storage ideas
  • Some direction for the next store to visit to get some ideas
  • A very tidy looking desk in the cottage after using my new small storage gear
  • A happy toddler when mummy got home!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, bring on the superstore soon hey, was heaps of fun!

    ReplyDelete