Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vintage Revamp

My interest in vintage or retro furniture has continued to be inspired over the last two years.  At a garage sale a few months ago I picked up a 50's lowline dressing table for $15.  The owners were clearing out their house ready to head off on a round Australia trip.  Whilst there were some rather interesting 70's gems (red porcelain bull figurine) this little cabinet had potential.

The original cabinet included a shield shaped mirror mounted from the rear of the dresser - not particularly attractive! A little bit like this one...


Rob was left wondering what on earth I was thinking! While I love vintage furniture, for me it is about re-styling it, or mixing it up with a modern look.  With some inspiration from vintage upcycling articles from my magazine collection, my revamp project has taken shape over the last few weeks of maternity leave.

A good sand back to get rid of the 70's mission brown stain

White paint on the draw fronts - four coats.  A furniture paint roller was the best thing to use in the end.


My design for the revamp was simple - white draw fronts, white top, sides and back and timber handles, trim and legs.

The finished product!
A funky new cabinet for baby clothes - not bad for $15
I'm not sure what I'll use if for in the new house, we'll find out when we move in.  Rob's conclusion - 'You did a great job'. Not a statement that says 'mid century is for me', I'll have to work on that if I want more pieces in the new house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment